South West of England Bat Conference
Date of next conference: Saturday 16 March 2019 - Save the date!
More details to follow
The South West of England Bat Conference is an opportunity for volunteer and professional bat workers in the South West to spend time together: updating their knowledge, sharing best practice, developing their skills and catching up on the latest 'bat chat'. The day will include spotlight talks from various bat groups in the region, longer talks on projects or sharing new knowledge and a choice of practical workshops. There will also be plenty of time for catching up with batty friends or making some new batty acquaintances.
This is a one-day event primarily for bat workers and bat enthusiasts who live or work in the South West of England or who are members of bat groups in the region. The area covered is: Avon, Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Isles of Scilly, Gloucestershire, Somerset, and Wiltshire.
The 2019 South West of England Bat Conference is looking for sponsorship. Contact the Training and Conferences Manager if you are interested
The previous South East of England Bat Conference took place on 25th March 2017 at Tiverton College in Devon.
You can find highlights from the day on Twitter using #SWBatConf
The talks programme included:
- An update on the work of the Bat Conservation Trust - Carol Williams, Director of Conservation, BCT
- The greater horseshoe bats of Berry Head - George Bemment
- The Nathusius' Pipistrelle Bat Project - Daniel Hargreaves
- Landscape scale habitat configuration by roads and the distribution of bats across the UK - Amy Fensome, University of Exeter
- Devon Greater Horseshoe Bat Project - Ruth Testa, Devon Wildlife Trust
- Priorities in the South West discussion session
Five minute bat group spotlight sessions were scheduled between the main talks during the day and there was a choice of workshops including:
- Introduction to class licensing
- Creating a visual aid to the identification of bat droppings
- Wildlife Acoustics Product Line Demonstration
- Pompom bats
- Introduction to Sound Analysis
- Bat care: An introduction for new carers & ambulance drivers
- Bat automatic identification software – issues to consider