Midlands Bat Conference
Date of next conference: Saturday 28 March 2020 - Save the date!
More details to follow
The Midlands Bat Conference is an opportunity for volunteer and professional bat workers in the Midlands to spend time together: updating their knowledge, sharing best practice, developing their skills and catching up on the latest 'bat chat'. The day will include spotlight talks from various bat groups in the region, longer talks on projects or sharing new knowledge and a choice of practical workshops. There will also be plenty of time for catching up with batty friends or making some new batty acquaintances.
This is a one day event primarily for bat workers and bat enthusiasts who live or work in the Midlands or who are members of bat groups in the region. The area covered includes: Herefordshire, Worcestershire, Shropshire, West Midlands, Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Rutland, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Northamptonshire and Lincolnshire.
The 2020 Midlands Bat Conference is looking for a sponsor. If you are interested, contact the Training and Conferences Manager.
The previous Midlands Bat Conference took place on 24 April 2018 at University of Leicester.
You can find highlights from the day on Twitter using #MidsBatConf
The talks programme included:
- An update on the work of the Bat Conservation Trust – Kit Stoner, BCT
- Nottinghamshire Barbastelle Project – Matt Cook, Nottinghamshire Bat Group
- Horseshoe Bats in Shropshire – Mike Worsfold, Shropshire Bat Group
- Bats in Churches Partnership Project – Barry Collins & Ian Nixon
- Involving local people and land owners to locate bats in our area – Ben Devine and Nathalie Cossa, Leicestershire & Rutland Bat Group (and Wildlife Trust)
- Five minute bat group spotlight sessions will be scheduled between the main talks during the day
- A Priorities Discussion Session for Bat Conservation in the Midlands, Chaired by Steve Parker, a Partner Bat Group Nominated Trustee for BCT
Five minute bat group spotlight sessions were scheduled between the main talks during the day and there was a choice of workshops including:
- Introduction to Kaleidoscope Viewer
- Introduction to QGIS for Bat Groups
- Anabat Insight Introduction
- Bat Identification Workshop
- Making Displays & Activities Memorable
- Introduction to Project Licensing