Date of next event: Spring 2018
Date of last event: 12th March 2016
Venue for last event: Yarnfield Park, Staffordshire
This was a one day event for bat workers and bat enthusiasts who live or work in the Midlands or who are members of bat groups in the region. The area covered includes: Herefordshire, Worcestershire, Shropshire, West Midlands, Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Rutland, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Northamptonshire and Lincolnshire.
The programme for last event included:
- An update on the work of the Bat Conservation Trust - Joe Nunez-Mino, Director of Communications & Fundraising
- Use of advanced bat survey techniques - Ian Davidson-Watts, Davidson-Watts Ecology Ltd
- The Swarm: An Annual Gathering - Steve Roe, Derbyshire Bat Conservation Group
- Batty in Africa Helen Taylor-Boyd, Bats without Borders
- Herefordshire Bats in Churches Project - Denise Foster, Herefordshire Mammal Group
- Bat group volunteers, citizen science and the slippery slope into bat box research - Peter & Emily Burke
- Priorities for Bat Conservation in the Midlands - Discussion session chaired by Steve Parker, BCT Trustee
- Five minute bat group spotlight sessions will be scheduled between the main talks during the day
Delegates were also able to choose a 90 minute workshop from: Bats and roofing, Bat Handling, Introduction to Anabat Walkabout & Analook Insight, Bat Care: An Introduction for new carers & ambulance drivers, Learn about the NEW Wildlife Acoustics SM4BAT and Echo Meter Touch, Introduction to QGIS for bat groups, Introduction to class licensing, and Felt bat making.
There was an NHBS sales stand and other exhibitors included Titley Scientific, Wildlife Acoustics, Wildcare, Love Bats, Bats without Borders, some of the Midlands bat groups, BCT and the National Bat Helpline.
If you have any questions about the Midlands Bat Conference (or any of the English regional conferences) please email Lisa Worledge.