Bats for Building Professionals
This awareness course is for anyone who is responsible for buildings and their renovation/development/maintenance/design, including builders, surveyors, architects and pest controllers. It is approved by CITB and eligible for a Tier 1 Grant - more information. It is also suitable as RIBA CPD.
By the end of the course, attendees will be able to:-
- Identify, by visual inspection, any features in buildings that could be a potential bat roost site
- Summarise the life cycle of bats in the UK and describe the best time for carrying out works in relation to the bat calendar
- Exercise judgement about when to contact appropriate specialists for assistance at a suitable stage in the building inspection/work process
- Recognise the consequences of acting without due consideration when carrying out works on buildings, which results in bat or roost destruction or disturbance.
Upcoming dates: (Click link to book)
We hope to run the course in person later in 2021 but have not confirmed any dates yet.
For information on how we process your data, follow this link
Course content includes:
- Bat biology and ecology
- Bats in buildings: where, when, which bats, evidence of bats
- Taking account of bats
- Best practice and case studies
In person courses: This course usually takes place at the National Self Build and Renovation Centre (NSBRC) in Swindon or Holly Lodge, Richmond Park. The NSBRC has a full size replica house and sections of pitched tiled roof which will be used for the practical elements of the course. Holly Lodge has a variety of building types and bat boxes erected. The practical element allows participants to gain some experience of assessing a built structure for bat potential and provokes discussion about potential ways in which opportunities for wildlife can be incorporated into new and renovated buildings (various examples of which will be available to examine during the course).
Online courses: Bats for Building Professionals - online covers all the material we usually cover in person over 2 afternoons with a practical task for your to complete between the sessions. The online workshops are live and interactive on Zoom with lots of opportunities to ask questions.
CPD: A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded that can be used as evidence for CPD. The course can be included as RIBA CPD. It is approved by CITB and eligible for a Tier 1 Grant -more information.
£125 - in person
£95 - online
Discounts: £5 for BCT members, 10% multi-buy discount if booking 3 or more course places
This course is also available as an in-house course on request.