Keen to get involved in bat monitoring?
This survey is ideal for you if you don't have previous bat surveying experience. It is also a perfect opportunity to get together with family/friends and discover bats and other wildlife in your local area. Simply head out at dusk or before dawn, or both! Spend an hour in your garden or walking around your local area and look out for bats.
- You can carry out your survey anytime from April to September.
- You will need: Survey form, pencil/pen, torch, watch.
- If you are doing your survey in the evening start at sunset. If you are doing your survey at dawn start one hour before sunrise.
- Spend an hour looking for bats and any other nocturnal animals you can see or hear.
Three sights to look out for
1. Bats in flight
Virtually everyone who takes part in this survey sees bats. This common pipistrelle's calls can be heard on a bat detector but you don't need a bat detector in order to take part.
2. Bats emerging from a roost at dusk
If you think a building or tree might have bats roosting then take a look just after sunset to see if you can spot bats emerging.
3. Bats swarming around a roost before dawn
The easiest way to locate a roost is just before dawn when bats swarm before entering the roost. Each year several new roosts are located by volunteers taking part in the Sunset/Sunrise Survey.
Sign up to the National Bat Monitoring Programme and get access to the bat sound library, receive the bi-monthly Bat Monitoring Post e-bulletin and get the latest information on our surveys and results.
If you are interested in improving your skills, we run bat detector workshops so that volunteers can feel more confident taking part in our surveys.
Sunset/Sunrise Survey Big Weekend
This year the Sunset/Sunrise Survey Big Weekend will take place on the 13th and 14th July.
On these dates we would like to encourage as many people as possible to take part in the survey and share your discoveries with us via email, social media (follow us on Facebook and Twitter) and by submitting your results online.