When works require planning permission

When planning works that require permission from the Local Authority, you might need to have surveys carried out, either because you know that bats are present or because the Local Authority require these surveys before permission can be granted.

The Partnership for Biodiversity in Planning, involving 18 organisations, has developed an online tool – the Wildlife Assessment Check – to help indicate when expert ecological input is required as a part of a planning application.

This is a free online tool for householders and small to medium-scale developers who want to undertake a development project to check whether they will need expert ecological advice before submitting a planning application.

Bat Conservation Trust have responded to the proposed changes to the planning system published in a Government White Paper last year. Click here for more information.