Need help with a bat?

Follow our advice

or call us on 0345 1300 228

How to find out landowner details

How to find out landowner details

It is important that you gain permission in advance from any landowner or custodians if you are entering private property or sites with restricted access before undertaking any bat surveys.

Below we have provided a few methods for finding out the landowner details, this information is based on guidance for the National Bat Monitoring Programme surveys.

  1. Search the address online. Entering the address and any details about the land into a search engine is always a good place to start and is likely to get the information you need.
  2. Use paid websites. These are usually based on the information found in official registries. Such sites include Land Registry Services for England & Wales, Department for Finance for Northern Ireland, and Registers of Scotland for sites in Scotland. The information you need can be found in the Title Register, but please be aware you will be charged a fee to see the landowner’s details.
  3. Ask around. Sometimes this can be the easiest way to find out the landowners details. Try to ask in the local post office/shops/pubs to see if anyone knows the details of the landowner or can pass your details on to them.
  4. Check the electoral register. The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who’s registered to vote. If you have the address of the site you need to survey you can use this to look up the name of the landowner. You can find out where to view the electoral register by contacting your local Electoral Registration Office. It also tends to be available at local libraries.
  5. 5. Contact park departments and staff. If the whole site or sections of it are located within a park there are a range of options for whom to contact to get landowner details. If it’s a public park try contacting the local council’s parks department. For National Parks contact the National Park Authorities. Staff are also worth contacting such as park rangers and nature reserve managers.
  6. Check with the Canal & River Trust. If you are surveying along a canal then the Trust’s website shows which waterways are within their network, all of which have public access. You can use this site to check if the stretch of waterway you’re surveying has public access. You can also contact the local office to ask if your site is part of their network.
  7. Contact the local council. Your local council may also be able to provide you with landowner permission if your site is on council owned land. All councils will have a website where you can obtain contact details or fill in an enquiries form.

Once found, record the landowner details and which section of the route they apply to so that the information is available to refer back to if necessary. Note any changes in landowner details from previous years if you are undertaking a repeat survey. You may wish to ask landowners to sign a permission letter and keep this for your records. Alternatively, a more informal agreement (e.g. verbally or via email) with landowners about survey dates etc. is sufficient, but you should keep a copy for the bat group's records.

You should follow us
Bookmark and Share

Subscribe today to receive the latest on bats and BCT direct to your inbox.

Bat Helpline

0345 1300 228